Jeff's Always Right - Just Ask Him!

Originally focused on my Audi TT's modifications and track adventures, now expanding to cover my thoughts and interests on technology, gadgets, home theater, and gaming that don't fit in a 140 character tweet.

Monday, March 22, 2004

Auto Show Pics; Enzo Sighting; BWM Conspiracy?

Pictures from the LA Auto show back in January are now up; go to http://community.webshots.com/album/126915100oTyYsU to see them. A couple of interesting vehicles are the Tango, a 3000 lb electric car that does 0 to 60 in 4 seconds, and the OKA from Russia, a 48 hp powerhouse that retails for under $8k with the optional roll cage (you have to see it to believe it). And of course, the usual shots of Aston Martins, Lamborghinis and other fun stuff.

Think BMW is getting tired of all the bad reviews of the SMG in the Z4? Witness the latest long term update in last month’s European Car (ok ok, yes I’m behind in posting anything to this stupid blog) in which the author says it really isn’t that bad, just takes getting used to and, oh, look at this, there are some helpful tips in the owners manual! I used to work in the magazine industry; sounds like a certain manufacturer might have suggested that there are a lot of other magazines it can support (and I’m guessing if your EC you probably need strong support from BMW, Audi, VW and Porsche …). Just an opinion, I could be wrong, but all you conspiracy theory freaks should check it out.

Sometimes it sucks to live in southern California. Yeah, the weather’s great and you can run summer tires all year round, but how many other places will you really see a burnt orange Ferrari Enzo just parked on Pacific Coast Highway in Corona Del Mar in front of the local coffee shop? A couple of weeks ago I’m pulling out of Rose’s Donuts after picking up Sunday morning coffee and as I pull on to PCH I see in my rear view mirror this orangish-reddish car that I can’t quite figure out what the nose is, but geez that can’t be an Enzo, could it? So I loop around and go back three blocks and pull back onto PCH at the rival coffee shop down the street and come up behind, sure enough, the Enzo. So of course I illegally park the Jag in a driveway and hop out (my wife at this point is just sadly shaking her head, drinking her coffee) and check this beauty out.

I’ve seen an Enzo before, the yellow one that made the US auto show circuit last year (and took a few pictures of it), but it was amazing to stand this close to one with virtually no one around. It was soooo hard to resist the temptation just to touch it! The ceramic brakes on this car are really something to see, and it was the best look ever at the interior. It really is a much more impressive car in person than in pictures. The color is what really got me, I’d only seen them in yellow, black and of course red, but this orange was beautiful. I checked it out for about 5 minutes before the Jag horn started honking; I looked around but the owner was still a no show, would have really liked to say hi.

What was really amazing was that few people were even checking out the car as they walked by. There were a few glances from the dog walkers and stroller pushers, but most had no idea what they were looking at a near-million dollar car and the rest didn’t even give a passing glance – one of the curses of Newport Beach, where you’ll see three or four 360s an hour on an average weekend and I call our Jaguar XK8 the Ford Taurus of Corona Del Mar because there’s one on every corner. Still, it’s amazing to me to see the Enzo just parked along side the curb like any other car, but honestly it was great to see that at least one person who bought these is actually willing to drive it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home